Manatū Kaupapa Waonga, the Ministry of Defence is the Government’s lead civilian advisor on defence matters, working in partnership with the New Zealand Defence Force to keep New Zealand safe.
The Ministry is seeking to appoint a Deputy Secretary, Governance, People & Executive Services. As a strategic leadership team member, this role represents an opportunity to play a key role in the leadership of the Ministry, and to make major and rewarding contributions to the organisation.
Reporting to the Secretary of Defence, this role will lead the Governance, People & Executive Services Division, to ensure the Ministry is effective and accountable in achieving its strategic objectives, and that it is a well-run, sustainable, and resilient organisation. This will include building on the Division’s past achievements, enhancing the Ministry’s relationships, governance arrangements, and processes and fostering a leadership culture of “how do we together build for a better future”.
Leading a Division of four branches (Governance & Assurance, Ministerial and Executive Services, Human Resources, and Office Management), the Ministry seeks to appoint a credible senior executive with;
– The ability to provide effective, visible leadership to the Division and contribute meaningfully to the strategic leadership team.
– Excellent stakeholder management skills and the ability to build and manage relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, internally and externally.
– An innovative, proactive approach to problem solving and a future focused mindset.
– An understanding of compliance and risk management in a public service setting.
– Strong political nous and a good understanding of the machinery of government.
– High personal integrity and a commitment to upholding the Ministry’s values.
This role is Wellington based, and successful candidates will be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance. This generally requires candidates to have been a New Zealand citizen for at least the past 10 years.
For more information or to apply, please contact Salma Malik at Hobson Leavy Executive Search: Salma@hobsonleavy.com.
Applications close on Wednesday 22nd February 2023.